Featured Post

Custom Homecoming Overalls closed 2019

Custom Homecoming Overalls will be closed for the 2019 season. I am in the process of making studio changes and revaluation of my business.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Color of Things to Come

Yep. CPSIA is like a disease with me. I eat, drink and sleep it. You can imagine how much I TALK about it. :0)

****
I had the pleasure of attending my very good friends' daughters' baby shower this past Saturday. Kristin and her husband, Noah, are expecting their first child. A girl, named Isabella. Bella for short. It was sooooooo nice to get out of my regular routine of doing for others and allowing some time for me. I ate fried food, chatted with other women, drank a glass of wine. If I had hair, you could say I let it down for a couple hours!!
While I was there, taking snapshots of all the baby gifts Kristen received, I realized that CPSIA will affect baby showers after February 10, 2009. All those cute and colorful toys, clothing and bibs.
((See?? No matter what I am doing, CPSIA sneaks in a takes over!! It affects EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE!!))
Especially all the handmade items.
You see, last week, the CPSC made a sort of exemption for handmade. Under current ruling, one must have EVERYTHING tested for lead. Be it by XRF gun scanning, or third party accredited labratory, every item deemed for a child 12 and under must come equipped with a GCC (General Conformity Certificate). However, the CPSC decided that 100% cottons, 100% cotton/wool yarns and untreated wood will not have to be tested. All of these fibers may not be treated in any way, shape or form. No dyes, no paints, no color.
So I am posting before February 10, 2009 pictures and after. All that I will be able to afford to make for children (if I choose not to spend 1,000's of dollars testing) is stuff with no color. Me and a 100's of other handmade clothing crafters.


Photobucket


Photobucket

What do you think? Do you think it will come down to this for us handcrafters?? No more color??
Please leave me a comment.

4 comments:

  1. Forget black and white... how about just white? You have to dye cotton to get it black. Oh heck, white cotton's treated too, with bleaches. Natural cotton, then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are currently stating "natural" wool and cotton...what is one supposed to assume that means if not adding color is bad? That's how I'm taking it...and many others.

    I am not opposed to knitting my items in wool and cotton, but I certainly don't want to make everything beige. :-(

    Yes, animal fleece/wool comes in a variety of shades but they are not available in pink, blue, purple, chartreuse, etc. UGH

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, the world without color is such a boring place and a child without color isn't a vibrant child.

    This law has me in FITS! I too, live, breathe, eat (not much of it lately), sleep and think about it. I don't even want to sew right now. I'm consumed with research about the law and what I can do to help change it.

    UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. that puts it in perspective. this is very depressing. my shop's whole allure is the fact that the products are vibrant (due to EVIL COLORS!).
    this issue snuck up on me - where is the tv news coverage? why isn't this more of a story? (other than on people in the know's blogs, etc).
    i am so frustrated by vague, conflicting information too. how can i comply to something that i don't fully understand?
    great timing on this by the way. what are we doing to our country!

    ReplyDelete

**Please feel free to leave me a comment, a smile or a wave before you leave!! :0)