Featured Post

Custom Homecoming Overalls closed 2019

Custom Homecoming Overalls will be closed for the 2019 season. I am in the process of making studio changes and revaluation of my business.

Friday, January 9, 2009

Another One Bites The Dust - Thanks CPSIA

As those of you who know me have noticed, the bouncy, positive, happy-go-lucky Trevor has not been around for a while. She's bee hiding behind denial of any wrong doing and pretending that everything will be "just fine". I made the realization yesterday, that it will not be fine. Not for a small Boutique containing nothing but Handmade goodies for children. These very goodies, sought out by many Moms who want their children to stand out in a crowd, will be banned hazardous substances come February 10, 2009. It makes me cringe.... knowing how hard us Moms work to put out a safe and beautiful product, all made with our two hands. Those very products which are fine today, will be trash on Tuesday the 10th. National Bankruptcy Day.
I was in the mindset to go rent the XRF gun and make time to test every item in the shop.... detail all the findings etc. Pull anything with any lead content. But why? I would only have to continue renting the XRF at $400 a day until August when third party testing and certificates on compliance will be mandatory for each item. And then what? 1,000's of dollars to test items that sell for $15?? Hell no.
So, in compliance, I am closing the doors to the Pink Zebra on Saturday, January 31, 2009.
Until then, if you would like to make some purchases, all items will be available in the shop at a ridiculous discount. There will be no lead certs, so don't ask, LOL
At least I can say I did not go out of business for lack of sales and customers. I have a wonderful following of Moms!! I will have to say I went down because of a new law. I did not bomb as a designer, on the contrary.
And don't me wrong, CPSIA, I plan on fighting you until you give up and roll over to show me your belly. I am on you like stink on poop!!!
I have decided that I will keep on offering creative wearable art for 13 and up. I will start early on the production of Homecoming overalls for the local high schools. Denim jackets, cool jeans. My market will just change. *sigh* I will miss making the cute little baby twirl skirts and baby quilts.
But!!! On the positive side, I will less stressed, I will have more time for my family and I might actually start making money, instead of constantly investing it.
So, thanks CPSIA, for giving me this huge headache, and redirecting my creativity. I guess. I hate you with abandon. You will never truly know how much you have hurt me and so many others. We are good people who love children and never dreampt of doing them harm.
BTW, where is my silk screened Wordle shirt?? :0)

6 comments:

  1. (((((HUGS)))))

    I know what a hard decision this was for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooo sorry!

    send your story to the CPSC and your reps...let them know how awful the CPSIA is and that it's forced you out of business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hon, I'm sorry you have been so negatively affected by all this. It's not worth it at the sake of your physical and emotional health.

    Here's another one backing your decision. You need to do what is best for you. Good luck with the overalls!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trevor... OH NO!!!!!!!!! I'm so, so sorry :-( And just when you got the cute WHITE house. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

    -Sheila
    FreckleTown.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about all of this and sadly I may be right behind you. I don't make handmade. I'm a small online retailer who moved out of dog items when it failed into kids and built a dream store for the princess I hope to have someday (as a grandchild :).

    So many dreams being destroyed. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

    (((HUGS))) Here's to hoping we'll all be laughing about this...in a few years!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trev..........

    I know this is soooo hard. I'm hoping that things are changed before the date, but it's not looking too promising is it? We are looking into other avenues for our business so we won't have to close our doors. I just don't want to pack it up!

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

**Please feel free to leave me a comment, a smile or a wave before you leave!! :0)