Featured Post

Custom Homecoming Overalls closed 2019

Custom Homecoming Overalls will be closed for the 2019 season. I am in the process of making studio changes and revaluation of my business.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Gross






Lauren, Lindsey and I have all been diagnosed with ringworm.
Sounds DISGUSTING, eh??
Well, it is NOT an actual worm (Thank goodness!!)
I know, but still. Ewww.
Here is what I have learned from the world wide web at my fingertips, and especially Google!!
Ringworm is a very contagious skin FUNGUS. The same fungus also causes Athletes Foot and Jock Itch. (another ewwww...)
Cats are the main carriers, dogs too. They get it from other animals and dirt.
So, you should have an idea as where we got this.
The rash itself looks like little round circles, redder on the edges and what looks like dry skin in the center. They start out small and spread in size and numbers, depending on exposure and the whole touching/itching factor. The rash itself is not bad, nor hard to get rid of, once diagnosed. It only gets bad if you itch them and they bleed which can cause a secondary infection. With pus and stuff. (Gross)
The first of the rash shows up 4 to 7 days after exposure.
Treatment: Topically, meds for athletes foot are the best. My Doctor made a reccomendation and we are trying it. Internally, an anti fungal is prescribed for *bad* cases and taken for 3 weeks or so. (Lauren has lots of sores, so our Pedi prescribed an oral med.) We are also taking an antihistamine (Zyrtek) to keep the inflamation and itching at bay.
I am hoping for a full recovery, soon. The girls had to be pulled from school until next Tuesday. Hopefully by then, most of the rash will be gone, just have to keep using the the anti-fungal cream to keep the fungus from coming back, and if it does, it will probably be resistant to the cream and be tougher to get rid of the second time.
I I have *learned* not to take in stray kitties. :0( Ya never know, and it sucks. Try to do a good thing and it slapped me in the face. Poo.
The shop is scrubbed, vacuumed and disinfected.

1 comment:

  1. Great big hugs to all of you!! Good thing I am in Colorado though!! LOL!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

**Please feel free to leave me a comment, a smile or a wave before you leave!! :0)