Featured Post

Custom Homecoming Overalls closed 2019

Custom Homecoming Overalls will be closed for the 2019 season. I am in the process of making studio changes and revaluation of my business.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

CPSC Grants One Year Stay of Testing....

Yes, yes, my friendly bloggy readers. This SOUNDS just exactly what I (and other handmakers) wanted. And it is.... Kinda. It is a small victory of many to come!! But it still needs some adjustments and this gives the CPSC some time to fine tune this awful piece of legislature.
I did do a little jig of accomplishment around my living room. My eyes did well up a bit in sheer happiness that everything us bloggers and Tweets have been fighting for. I DID go celebrate with a basket of fried shrimp and a Cape Cod.
Well, it is worth that small amount of celebration. But the fight is not over and WE still need to keep on, keepin'on with our voices.
A small win. A chance for the CPSC to look over the entire CPSIA document and get it right the second time around. The Stay is for one year.... It states that as a clothing manufacturer, I DO NOT have to test and certify my goods are lead compliant, HOWEVER, I better not get caught selling anything over the 600 parts per million. In fact, a friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, works for a company who produces childrens items. They have already sunk millions into the third party labratory testing to guarantee no lead. (And NO LEAD has ever been found!!) Even with the stay, their Attorney has told them to CONTINUE with the costly testing on each batch, as there will be big box retailers out the fighting the stay, purely because they have already been doing this expensive testing on their products and "so should we". They are probably feeling like they have lost MILLIONS of dollars right now to be February 10th compliant. And I am sure the backlash will be big. I am prepared for things to change, again. I am sure this will be a roller coaster ride all the way to the end. I have my kleenex box close by, next to the bottle of celebratory bottle of wine, just in case. *wink*
So, as a retailer, and manufacturer, um, how do I KNOW my goods are compliant?? I need to test don't I?. Yup, for the most part. I am still held accountable for my wares.
You can read the the say HERE.
Don't get me wrong!! I am thankful for the smallest hint that our voices are being heard. As Mark Riffey said, "I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that the power of social media is what made this happen." I am so glad to have been a part of that statement.

OK, now that's off my chest.
Yesterday was the last open day of The Pink Zebra. I want to thank everyone who has come in to say good-bye, make purchases and show so much concern about my creative well being. I love you all so much. You have no idea how wonderful it feels to have such a wonderful team behind me supporting me and my dreams.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Please continue reading my blog as I may have news for you sooner than later!!
I also want to thank my dear friend Heather for being a leaning post the past few days. Spending her time with me at the PZB for the past 2 days and being there to celebrate this small win we have with the stay of mandatory testing. She brought her kids to the shop yesterday and a whole bunch of activities to keep all 4 our tikes busy all day. Basically, she entertained the kids while I handled customers (friends!!) without interruption and was able to get things done.
MUAH!!!
I will leave you with the highlight of my day... Miss Morgan Farnsworth. Mommy bought her my FAVORITE OOAK Texas A&M deco overalls. Needless to say, Morgan loved them!! :0)



Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Thank you Laura, for coming by to say "Hi" and bringing Morgan in for a kiss!!! We love you!!
XOXO

2 comments:

  1. You are fabulous! http://jaybirddesigns.blogspot.com/2009/02/im-fabulous.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are fabulous! http://jaybirddesigns.blogspot.com/2009/02/im-fabulous.html

    ReplyDelete

**Please feel free to leave me a comment, a smile or a wave before you leave!! :0)