Featured Post

Custom Homecoming Overalls closed 2019

Custom Homecoming Overalls will be closed for the 2019 season. I am in the process of making studio changes and revaluation of my business.

Friday, February 6, 2009

CPSIA (Confusion) Update


Photobucket

So much confusion.....
The CPSIA has my panties in a wad!! LOL
A new development today: A Press Release from the CPSC, to spell out the Enforcement Policy for new lead limits in Children's products efective February 10, 2009.
Yep. Another, of I am sure, to be many.
In this newest release, the document basically states that there are certain materials used in children's items that have been proven NOT to have in lead in them. This works hand-in-hand with last weeks stay of mandatory testing and certification. The certain materials are as follows:
  • ...certain natural materials, including wood, wool, cotton and metals and alloys known to not contain traces of lead in them
  • ...ordinary children's books printed AFTER 1985
  • ...dyed or undyed textiles (not including leather, vinyl or PVC) and non-metallic thread and trim used in children's clothing and other fabric products, including baby blankets
I can read into that, as a crafter/seamstress/business owner, that the product made by KraftyMommas Boutique (ME!!) can and will be sold LEGALLY for up to one year from now. I have the freedom to continue creating for the babies and for the older crowd, provided I do not accessorize with zippers, buttons, leather, charms or bling. So, YEA!! for me!! And for all the other girls wearing my boots right now!!! My biggest hurdle will be finding overalls with compliant snaps and clips. I applique a lot of overalls still, and need to make sure all the metal hardware is complaint. I have a tote full of blanks I may have to burn.... Ugh.
I feel bad though, for libraries and book stores, though. Stuff printed before 1985 MAY have lead in the ink they printed the books with. That's a tough thing. I have collections of books from my Dad's sister that date from the 40's and 50's. Not to mention all book collections I have, like Nancy Drew, Little House and Wizard of Oz. My kids will read them, lead or no lead, as I did, and I am just fine, thank-you-very-much!!!
Those are the main topics covered by todays announcement. Many of us on Twitter are still wary that this is even the correct way to interpret the Press Release. The CPSIA has been oh so confusing to everyone involved, including the CPSC, since day one. No one seems to *know* the answers completely, so many things have been guesstimated or insinuated. Hence the picture at the top of this post.
Remember, though, this enforcement policy will only stay in effect until superseded by action of the Comission.
IOW: Until they decide to change the interpretation, again.

NOTE: Many people are so confused by what the CPSC thinks is giving clear and concise information on their site. I am beginning to believe they are writing in code purposely, to encourage all of us bloggers and Twitters to super-sleuth out the answers, like Scooby-Doo!!

Keep trying, CPSC, one day you will get it right, I hope!!!

I hope this outlook has been helpful if you came here looking for answers!!
For all my trusty followers and PZB peeps, I promised to keep you posted!!
:0) Cheers!!



1 comment:

  1. I thought there was a stay for a year and that this was not going into effect
    on the 10th?


    The best round up on the status of the law as it stands is http://bit.ly/XOjN
    and http://bit.ly/2XKGRK . The key issues are, most retailers are still
    requiring CPSIA compliance regardless of the status of the stay (confusion,
    vendor misrepresentation); the stay doesn't apply to hardware and lastly, at
    least five state's attorneys generals have said they intend to enforce CPSIA as
    is.

    Posting for Kathleen Fasenella, author, Fashion Incubator
    http://www.fashion-incubator.com/

    ReplyDelete

**Please feel free to leave me a comment, a smile or a wave before you leave!! :0)