Featured Post

Custom Homecoming Overalls closed 2019

Custom Homecoming Overalls will be closed for the 2019 season. I am in the process of making studio changes and revaluation of my business.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I Gave Up Painting For Quilting ~ Part 2

While the quilt was getting quilted, I finished making the binding. Now, quilters, mind you, I don't traditionally bind my quilts. Hereis how I made this particular binding.
I started with more of the 5inch squares I had left over from the quilt. I decided on a pattern, and started sewing one long line of squares.
((Pardon the burnt starch on my ironing board. I know. It looks disgusting.))
The long strip of squares has to be ironed into the shape I need it in so it will fit as an easy casing over the edges of the now triple layer quilt.
First, I iron it in half. Then I go back to the beginning and open up the binding and then bring the edges to the inside. Iron firmly.



Photobucket


Photobucket

Fold over and match the edges. Iron. Starch, iron again.


Photobucket


Photobucket

Wrap the binding around the edge of the quilt and start sewing!! I am not a pin user.... But most people will pin the binding down before sewing. I find that step time consuming and the pins always get in the way. My machine likes to eat them.

Photobucket

I put *after market* loops on the back in case Allison wanted to hang the quilt in the baby's nursery. These have their own stitching, so they may be removed so the quilt may be used.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Mmmmmmmmmm.
Freestyle, stipple quilting.
Yummy enough to eat!

Photobucket

This is a great shot of the tuxedo pin tucks from Grammy's shirt.

Photobucket


Photobucket

My friend wanted a little dedication on the back.
She came up with, "Wrapped in Grammy's Arms".
I embroidered that phrase on one of the sleeves from the shirt.
Fitting, eh? Even though, once complete, you would never know. I do, my friend does and I am sure Allison's little man will grow up knowing it as well.

Sherrys Quilt
Welp, there it is.
I also made a smaller, crib sized quilt, but I tied it.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Extra fabric = Extra stuff


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket
Hopefully, I will be getting some pictures from the baby shower and the new nursery.....
*HINT-HINT*

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it...and you!

    http://jaybirddesigns.blogspot.com/2009/06/kreativ-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

**Please feel free to leave me a comment, a smile or a wave before you leave!! :0)