Featured Post

Custom Homecoming Overalls closed 2019

Custom Homecoming Overalls will be closed for the 2019 season. I am in the process of making studio changes and revaluation of my business.

Monday, April 27, 2009

Work in Progress

Photobucket


I may never finish this project, LOL But I figured I could share where it is now.
The kids room.
Not a huge room, so organization and *housekeeping* is a must.
First the theme. Surfing. The beach. California. All things warm and sandy. The kids and I all share the same kinship with salt water and sunburns, so the choice of theme was unanimous.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I started with the walls. Palm trees, shades of blue... I had one obstacle.. a wall with tons of "graffiti" type paint done with enamel paint pens. I had to cover with a dark gloss (kids wanted black, I chose a nice dark chocolate). This wall is free to them to decorate with posters, signs, junk, art. The TV is on this wall too, on a dresser I just recently moved in. It still needs a paint job, along with the other dresser.
Photobucket



My next venture was the closet. I gutted it and painted it a light lime green. Added white wire shelving and some bins on rollers. Everyone has their own space and places to keep their favorite things. The curtains to cover the closet are from a flat sheet I got at Ross. I like that they are white so they add a lightness to the room. And the surfboards, of course, compliment the decor.
Photobucket

Photobucket



I used another for the 2/3 curtain on the window and topped that off with a grass hula skirt. (Garden Ridge Pottery was having a 50% off sale on all party stuff!! So I got a bunch of cool little things like the skirt for pennies!!)
Photobucket

Photobucket



The rest of the surfboard sheet was cut up and I used it in the two queen sized quilts I made the girls and the matching pillow shams. I am happy that the sheets I paid like $25 for, have gone so far in this decor. If I had actually fond a fabric I liked, I wold probably spent $200-300 on it to get enough, and there wold have been lots of seams.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


So, anyhow, the paint on the furniture is fun and colorful. Each part is painted a different color, kind of like inside Babin's. (Babin's has a bunch of wood inside that was salvaged from New Orleans, and it is painted fun bright colors and adds personality.) I still have to finish the two dressers, like I said before, and I still have parts of the kids beds to touch up.
I forgot to mention, I ripped up the carpet and painted the concrete a fabulous cerelian blue to mimic water from the prettiest beaches.
Photobucket


Hows THAT for Krafty? :0)

8 comments:

  1. Wow!! you have been busy!! You have done a terrific job on this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see you creating again. It is a gift you have been given.
    btw, I seem to see numerous crafters who are still "at it" despite the law; don't know what's up with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see you creating again.
    You have a gift. I especially love the painted concrete floor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Glad to see you back....looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great. You've given me a few ideas. I've been working on a surfing/skateboarding theme for my teenagers bedroom and lets just say that most of it has been in my head for the past 12 months and hasn't actually been done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, i think you did an excellent job. I love the surfboard fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE what you did with the surfboard theme. And love the painted blue concrete. Perfect for active kids..... and adults! :0) Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog by chance and saw we both live in Houston. Wanted to say hi! Great room for the kids!

    ReplyDelete

**Please feel free to leave me a comment, a smile or a wave before you leave!! :0)